Do it yourself web design… is it right for you?
Using a “do it yourself” service or even having a friend or family member design a site is not usually a good idea for a business.
A professional web designer or developer will sit with you to discuss your business goals and objectives and figure out how your website will help you achieve them. The goal of your site is to sell a product or generate leads via email or phone calls. A professional, with business and marketing know-how is your best bet. These designers keep up to date with usability trends, web marketing and optimization techniques and know how to use the right technology to achieve the desired results.
Do it yourself sites
I have worked with several clients over the years who first tried to build a site on their own using tools and templates provided by hosting companies and others. They gave up after a while for many different reasons:
- Could not achieve the look they wanted
- Tools were more complex than they first thought
- Limited choices of designs they could use
- Ended up with a “cookie-cutter” site
- Site did not deliver results (visits or leads) they expected
- Could not completely customize the site
A friend can design it
This can be a good way to start provided the designer knows a bit more than just putting together a website. Make sure your designer knows about:
- Usability – How easy is the website to use.
- Accessibility - accessible by as many people as possible
- Search Engine Optimization
- Adding statistics code like Google Analytics to track your visitors
- How much do they know about your product and service
- Web marketing such as Adwords
There are many tools and services out there which allow individuals to build their own site. Some are very good and keep getting better every day. However, they just don’t do everything which is required to have a successful website:
- Professional design
- Good content
- Internet marketing trend
- Search engine optimization
- Keyword analysis
- Pay-per-click advertising for initial traffic
Your time is valuable. Creating a site will take some time away from what you do and know… your business.
Consider all cost associated with a do-it-yourself solution and compare them with a design professional’s quote:
- cost of service
- your time spent
- trial and error
- lack of results
- learning about keywords, search engine submission, copywriting, Meta Tags, pay-per-click, etc